West End Girls (part 3)


After seeing Kathy off, I grabbed the empty bag I’d bought at Peckham yesterday and set out.  I would take this to Katja’s, where Anuschka’s gifts were still being stowed.  It was early yet; Katja would be occupied elsewhere all day.  I packed the gifts and left the new case at hers again; she offered to bring it to the Cotswolds at the end of the following week.  We had a cuppa, and then got on a bus.  Katja told me where I needed to hop off; she alighted sooner. 

The British Museum was booked for the late morning.  I'd been told that the queue would move quickly and it did.  After the security check, no one asked for my reservation.  Once inside, I will admit being unimpressed.  I've visited many museums.  In most cases, displays attract the eye because of careful placement and careful lighting. Here, there was just too much stuff.  The walls were stacked from floor to high ceiling.  Between the walls, numerous display cabinets, each with several shelves, were filled to the brim.  There were so many people in every stretch, it was not easy to look at plaques.  I was almost immediately overwhelmed, and I didn't stay long.  I did enjoy the section devoted to Africa. 



(British Museum)


I realise that the British Museum is considered by many to be magnificent and unmissable, but I just cannot agree.  In addition to my personal disapproval, I am among those who believe that the empire's plunder should be returned.  James Acaster does a wonderful segment on the issue, which you can see here.

So What

Later, my story is going to return to this museum and I'm going to reveal a very different attitude.  Also later, I hoped my story would return to James Acaster, but it didn't.

For now, it was time to eat.  I led myself to a Lebanese place called Aline.  "Back to the Middle East!" my taste buds dictated.  The walk was hot.  I was happy the second I looked at the menu.  I started with moussaka and continued with a mixed grill, though in actuality, the two dishes were delivered so quickly one after the other that I ate them simultaneously.  I finished, naturally, with knafeh.  It was as pleasing as I'd expected.






After this, I wandered a little...... 

(post-meal wander)


......but ultimately decided to return to Nunhead to rest before tonight's second viewing of Cabaret.  It was the same show of course, though one of the characters was recast.  The seat I chose was one floor lower, but not in the stalls; I still wanted to see the orchestra.  I loved it just as much the second time.   Afterwards, I rode a tardy tube to Canada Water, where I switched to the P12.  A medley of drunken revelers (slightly older than me) boarded, and I tensed.  I noticed on this holiday that I'm rather sensitive to loud passengers; the Taiwanese usually speak in hushed voices on public transport.  Each noisy exchange had me subconsciously assuming that there was trouble afoot.  Tonight's revelers got off within a few stops, leaving only one, who quieted and rode many more stops.

On Sunday, I checked out of the Nunhead accommodation.  It had been a really comfortable stay.  I’d booked with Left Luggage and took my suitcase to St. Pancras Station.  Katja had booked a visit to Sky Garden at 11:30, so I headed to the City of London.

What a magnificent view of London the Sky Garden affords!  There are windows all around, overlooking the entire city.  The garden within is also something to behold.  Weary from standing and snapping pictures?  Not to worry; there are several purveyors of snacks and drinks, although only one seemed open today.  

(Sky Garden)


We’d already decided to eat across from St. Pancras Station: I’d be departing from there this afternoon, and Katja would watch a movie in the area with a friend.  





From Sky Garden, we made for Indian Lounge, the first of three restaurants side-by-side serving dishes from the subcontinent.  The food was good, and the lower floor of the venue was something to behold.  

(Indian Lounge)


Ultimately, it was time to part.  I picked up my suitcase, jumped on a Northern train and made my way to Luton Airport, whence I’d take an easyJet flight to Belfast.  Before boarding, I heard this announcement: “Passengers for easyJet departure to Narnia flight 2403 are requested to go to gate 23.”  I mean, it couldn’t be a flight to Narnia, but that’s what I heard!  Research later put me straight.  It was in fact headed to Chania, Greece.  (A month later, on 11 October, 2023, a fire in a Luton parking garage caused a structural collapse, the hospitalisation of several people, and the suspension of flights.)