Tried & Tested

 

Tomorrow Belongs To Me

 

On March 8th of this year, when much of the planning for the trip was already done, but several of the tickets were yet to be bought, I received a call out of the blue from Germany.  Because it had been a while, a sudden shock shot through me, wondering what news might be given.  It turned out to be a social call.  Annemarie, wife of my Uncle Helmut (Dad’s younger brother), was just touching base.  We chatted a while, and she asked if I was planning a trip to Europe.  I said that I planned to visit the UK, but hadn’t been thinking of visiting Germany on this occasion.  We ended the conversation, but now I faced a quandary.  In 2008, I’d gone back to South Africa to visit Dad because it was becoming clear that his time was limited.  When I’d traveled in the Baltics in 2014, I’d not included a trip to Hamburg, and missed the opportunity to see Gerhard (Dad’s older brother) before his death.  I had made it to Melbourne to see Erna (Dad’s only sister) before she passed away. I decided (mainly because Annemarie told me it was Helmut’s 80th birthday) that an adjustment to my plans was necessary.

I was again booked on easyJet, though this time on a return ticket.  Before boarding, I was sure to activate roaming on my phone, to ensure connectivity and guarantee communication.  The fact that I did this would prove invaluable in a couple of days.  If I hadn’t, I might still be in the federal republic, living under a tree or something.  Landing in Hamburg, I got a cab to Motel One nearby.  It was within walking distance, but I didn’t know the route, and it was getting late.  I had a great sleep and a healthy breakfast.  Following directions, I now returned to the airport on foot.  From here I got a train to Hamburg Hauptbahnhof, where my connection to Hannover was delayed.  I’d been led to believe that German trains ran like clockwork, but I guess the whole of the European continent is falling apart.  I let Annemarie know, saying that I’d contact them again from Hannover, where I’d be changing to a different line to Gifhorn. 

In my carriage, the last three rows of seats on the left of the aisle were occupied by luggage and shopping bags.  This seemed odd to me, but whatever.  When I sat down, a woman sat beside me.  Still nothing unusual.  I’d packed a sandwich; since I didn’t know the correct etiquette on German trains, I asked the woman if it was okay to eat.  This is where it all went mad.  She did not stop talking until we reached Hannover.  I learned that she was a physiotherapist.  I learned that the mountains of bags on the seats were hers.  I learned that she was returning south after a vacation on the Baltic coast, which the Germans call the Ostsee (East Sea).  I learned that it was her eight-year-old daughter in the seat across the aisle.  (Why were they not sitting together, and more controversially, why was she sitting beside a strange man when there were plenty of unoccupied seats, notably the one beside her daughter?)  I learned that she was considering leaving the man who was still vacationing in the Ostsee as she returned south.  I made the assumption from what she said that the man was not her daughter’s father.  I noticed that her daughter could hear this conversation about the state of her mother’s relationship.  I learned that her daughter’s teacher had commented to one of her classmates that she dressed like a slut.  He said this to an eight-year-old girl!  What the actual F!  The physiotherapist offered me tips on keeping a healthy body and healthy mind.  This was all unsolicited, mind you.  By the time we reached Hannover, I was thrilled to be getting away, so thrilled that I took my backpack but forgot the little bag with my money, credit cards and passport on the floor beside my new guru.  Thankfully, she was decent, and pointed out that I’d left it there.

What Would You Do

I waited for the next train on a dusty platform in Hannover.  I felt like I’d stepped back to the 1970s.  I was quite unimpressed.  Announcements, however, were frequent and bilingual (the vernacular and English).  I’d missed my connection to Gifhorn and the next train departed an hour after the one I was meant to ride.  I let Annemarie know.  




When I got to Gifhorn, they were waiting.  It was a happy reunion.  They drove me to their apartment first, and later we went to Gifhorn Castle, which is surrounded by two lakes, two rivers and a moat.  In the park attached to the lake, a circus was set up, and I saw it advertised in the paper over breakfast the next morning.  This circus had animals!  Didn’t Germany get the memo that (ab)using animals in this way is no longer socially acceptable (and, in truth, never should have been)?  Colour me shocked!  The castle and its surroundings were pretty and a great place for photography. 


(Schloß Gifhorn)

We then went into the compact town centre.  Here was an air of truly old continental nostalgia.  Gifhorn is a sleepy town, one that must be heaven for retirees but hell for youngsters.  I knew instantly that if I didn’t have family to visit, this would never have found itself onto a list of places I’d want to see.


(Gifhorn town centre)

Returning to the apartment, Annemarie busied herself with dinner while Helmut and I chatted and went through old family photographs over several glasses of wine. When dinner was ready, I was surprised to find it was salmon.  (I think I need to reconsider identifying as someone who doesn’t eat seafood.  I enjoyed the meals on Emirates and I enjoyed this meal, too.)  Accompanying the salmon was dauphinoise and afterwards, Annemarie brought out a Black Forest gâteau that she had baked.  Neither the dauphinoise nor the gâteau would receive the approval of my doctor, but since I’d been mostly behaving myself, and since I certainly did not wish to offend my hosts, and since I absolutely love both dauphinoise and gâteau, I ate with relish.

I liked their apartment.  I walked around Annemarie’s balcony garden, where she grew pretty flowers and also fruit and vegetables.  I wandered through the interior, enjoying their collection of art and the accompanying stories.  The apartment was spacious and tastefully decorated.  Soon, though, it was time for bed. 

(Die Wohnung)

In the morning, Annemarie took me to the nearest supermarket where I might choose the cold meats and bread I’d like for breakfast.  Back at home, these were accompanied by hardboiled egg and coffee.  As we ate, the first message came through: flight delayed by an hour.

We hung around in the apartment.  Annemarie insisted that I take the remaining bread and cold meats with me to make sandwiches.  I packed them.  Soon, it was time to return north to Hamburg.  They took me to the station and waited on the platform until the train arrived.  Helmut pointed at the sign that forbade smoking and then at the cigarette butts on the ground.  Honestly, I’d thought that smoking was permitted everywhere in Europe; I’d smoked on the platform in Bern after my sister’s wedding.  But, Annemarie said, it isn’t permitted.  I guess the law is simply not enforced, judging from what I’d seen.  As the train pulled in, we said our goodbyes.  The couple waited on the platform until the train pulled out. 

Arriving in Hannover, guess what.  The connection to Hamburg was late.  It was then that the second message came through: flight delayed by two hours.

When I did eventually pull into Hamburg Hauptbahnhof, I decided to wander in the area around the station.  There were several museums within walking distance that Google Maps reported to be free.  I sauntered to Galerie der Gegenwart, which I misunderstood to mean Gallery of Counterculture.  It actually means Gallery of the Present.  Entering, I was asked if I’d already bought a ticket.  I said, “I thought this was free.”  With true north German emotionless efficiency, he responded, “Das ist nicht frei.”  





By now I was feeling defeated.  More was to come!  Much more!  Before I continue, I’m going to make an admission.  The next several hours were going to test me like never before, and I failed to remain calm.  If, dear reader, you wish to jump off here, I'll accept that. 

I decided to get back to the airport and wait in air conditioning until my now quite delayed flight took off.  I rode the train and emptied into the airport’s underbelly.  I ambled landside for a short while, buying some treats at Edeka for myself and my colleagues.  I sat for a while, gazing at Sixt car rental service.  I have shares in this company, and they are not doing well.  Then I went through security.  There were still hours to wait, but I knew there’d be food to eat and things to see on the other side.  That’s when I got the third message: flight delayed by three hours.

What use is there in getting angry about it?  In truth, I was really quite pissed off; it took some effort to calm myself.  I felt like getting a beer, but decided that I might need to keep all my synapses firing, at least until I was sure I’d be on the flight.  I had a salad and sat where I could charge my phone.  That’s when I got the fourth message: flight canceled.

I jumped up.  The chap at the information counter told me how to get out of the secure area (I had no idea that was even possible) and where to find the ticketing counters that might be able to help.  I scurried.  Getting to ticketing, the first lady told me, “Sorry, we are closed.”  I protested that I had a flight back to Asia tomorrow.  “Sorry.”  I went to the second counter, where I got the same answer.  “Is sorry all I’m going to get?”  “Sorry.”  I didn’t raise my voice, but I wasn’t polite.  Fortunately a logical voice buried deep beneath my panic reminded me that this was not the fault of my apologetic foes.

One step at a time, Malcolm!  Breathe!  It was at this point that I really thanked the digital gods for my decision to keep my Skype account open and funded.  I got on the phone to Emirates.  I explained my situation.  The very helpful man looked to see if I could fly to Taipei on Saturday instead of Friday.  Miracle!  There was a seat on both the flight to Dubai and the flight to Taipei.  The change would cost NT$ 7843.  “Please pay now.  I’ll stay on the phone while you do.”  “It doesn’t seem that the payment has gone through.”  “Don’t worry, sir, there is always a short wait for card payments to be checked.  I will email your updated flight details once the payment is confirmed.  If that doesn’t happen, I will call you back.”  (All of my credit cards are set to send me a text message with an OTP to finalise purchases.  Since I was abroad, my Taiwanese SIM card was stored in the luggage at Gatwick.  Luckily, my debit cards are set to send a text and an email.  I got the OTP and was able to pay Emirates this way.)

The payment did go through and I got the email as promised, but I couldn’t wait for that confirmation.  Other arrangements were needed.  The next thing was to book a room at Motel One.  Luck!  There was a room.  Now I had to get back to easyJet.  Upon cancelation, they gave the choice of getting a refund or rescheduling to tomorrow at the same time.  I’d not made the choice while still in the secure area because I didn’t know what I’d find at the ticketing counter.  I now chose to reschedule, and my flight was confirmed to be departing tomorrow.  Next, I had to get hold of Premier Inn at Gatwick to reschedule my stay from tonight to tomorrow.  “Unfortunately, we are not able to make changes to reservations after 2pm.”  “Can I cancel then?”  “Unfortunately, we are not able to make changes to reservations after 2pm.”  Well!  Tsk!  The only thing to do would be to lose the money for tonight and book again for tomorrow.  This I did, which actually got me a booking instead at the Premier Inn to which Katja had first taken me, the one at which my bags were stashed.  Finally, I extended my arrangement with Stasher, adding another day to the rental.  I called Premier Inn to notify them about the longer period of stashing.  (Incidentally, I got a message from Stasher after paying their exorbitant fees, informing me of a spring special.  Great timing!)  Now I walked to Motel One, patting myself on the back for managing the crisis.  I was, however, livid.

I was happy to be back at Motel One because I liked it.  



I had initially booked for the first night at Hotel Cockpit because I loved the naughty euphemism in its name, but decided later that it was slightly too far from the airport.  (I had also intended to visit Daddyhole Road in Torquay, Devon for the same metaphorical whimsy, but decided that it would take valuable time away from manor house hunting.)  I got into survival mode, which happened also after returning from Antarctica.  Then the start of the pandemic and now the endless delays meant that my supply of medicine wouldn’t last, so I’d have to skip a dose to make it last longer.  Since I’d only brought enough clothes for two days, I had to hand wash several items (if you’ve read my other blogs, you know how little I think of this chore) and hope they’d dry by tomorrow.  It was summer time, and the heating was not functioning.  (All but the socks dried.  I chose to wear day-old socks.  I’d not be taking my shoes off on the plane on this flight, would I!  In fact, they’d not come off until I reached Premier Inn.)  I went downstairs for a drink… several drinks.  It was then that I remembered that I’d need to reschedule my journey on Taiwan’s high speed rail.  That was the last of the adjustments that easyJet forced upon me…. or so I thought.  After the fourth beer, I called it a night.

At breakfast the next morning, I got the first message.  Schweinhund!  Merde!  Bitch!

There was no way I would go through all of that again!  I immediately got a ticket with Eurowings to fly me to Heathrow.  Then I booked a train to take me from Heathrow to Gatwick. When all was said and done, this easyJet debacle had cost me NT$ 33,673, which amounts to US$ 1039.96.  Not to worry, I’d get it back from insurance.  (Only, I wouldn’t.  I have always bought travel insurance from World Nomads, but after the pandemic, their premium had doubled.  I decided to go with the Taiwanese arm of Allianz.  I’ve never claimed from insurance before, and I’ve always decided that the fine print can be read if it turns out I need to make a claim.  Once home, I read the fine print, which needed to be scanned and run through Google Translate as the documents were naturally in Mandarin.  Turns out I had bought only medical insurance.  There was no cover for delays or baggage.  Schweinhund!  Merde!  Bitch!)

Money Makes The World Go Around

My new flight would depart at 18:00.  I stayed in my room until the noon check-out deadline.  Then I ambled back to the airport.  These very long waits in airports were beginning to become a joke, but I had lost all momentum and the thought of going out to explore did not entice.  I had been unable to check in online, and the self-check-in machines at the airport would also not allow it.  I had to go to the counter, where only two people were available to help, one man and one woman.  The woman was unable to help as her computer was crashing.  She kept scurrying off to an office out of sight, returning with what seemed to be codes, and then repeating.  The number of passengers who needed help was fast growing.  People were getting angry.  I had arrived with no patience, but decided that I’d not let it escalate (and I was also very early, so there was plenty of time to sort out my trouble); I remained polite.  Eventually, I got checked in and passed through security. 

I got to the gate way too early, so I ate and had several pints.  The woman working at the canteen right at the gate spoke only German.  How do they have a person working beyond immigration, airside, who speaks no English?  No Arabic, sure.  No Punjabi, well, yeah.  No Hakka, of course not.  But no English?  It was here at the gate that I got the second message from easyJet.  No bother, I wasn’t using their service anymore.  Soon, however, Eurowings was also delayed!  My effing god!  What the eff was going on?  I decided that Germany and indeed all of Europe might just as well go and eff itself.  The door to the bathroom here (in Hamburg, let me remind you) was held open with a plastic strap (several plastic bags tied together).  One of the basins had no water. 

Once, when I was young and irresponsible, I had a “dream’.  It wasn’t really a dream, but to avoid incriminating myself, we’ll call it that.  In this dream, which took place at an outdoor trance party, I became convinced that the organisers of the party were walking around, taking car keys, abducting friends, or otherwise thwarting exit plans in order to keep all party goers at the party.  Now in Hamburg, stone cold sober(ish), thirty years later and trying to get home, I felt like that dream had in fact become reality.

Eurowings did eventually take off at 7:15pm, and soon I was in London.  At Heathrow, the line at immigration lasted longer than the flight – 90 minutes!  Waiting here, I got the third message.  The easyJet flight was once again canceled!  Imagine if I’d not bought the Eurowings flight!  Fortunately, this time I selected a refund, so at least some of the wasted pounds (only NT$ 2000, mind) would be returned to me.  I just couldn’t anymore.  I didn’t give anyone shit, but I was boiling.  Because of this tardy queue, I missed the train I needed.  Southern Rail (the wheel is come full circle) was meant to take me to Gatwick. I took the next one.  I had to change at Farringdon Station.  This was the first time I was pleased about a delay: the train I needed from Farringdon to Gatwick was late and I managed to catch it!  One ray of sunshine to brighten my dysphoria.  I arrived at Premier Inn around 1am.  I checked in, got my bags and locked myself in.  My UK plug adaptor was missing!  Everything came out of my suitcases and landed in disheveled heaps all around the spacious room.  I got into bed.  I tossed and turned.  I raged.  I slept.  I found the adaptor the next morning where I’d carelessly let it fall as I was searching my bags.  I charged my phone.  I went to breakfast.  It was delicious.  There was one attendant with an English accent.  There was one attendant with a Slavic accent.  The wheel had come full circle. 

I stayed until just before the check-out deadline.  I stomped to the airport.  I boarded my plane.  Departure from Dubai was delayed by an hour!  I landed.  I took the high speed rail.  I got home.

I didn’t Care Much